Friday, February 16, 2007

Anticipating the race season.

I became involved with bicycle racing last year, 2006. In 2005 I made huge improvements in my cycling abilities and was performing quite well in century touring events. After one of my best personal performances in the 115 mile Cherohala Challenge, the next thing was to give racing a try. The 2006 race year was great experience for me. I learned a lot. I started off in Cat 5 and upgraded to Cat 4 by my goal of June 1st 2006. Here is a link to my USCF race results from last year. The USCF does not include all the race events that I did. I did about 35 events last year, and most of them were road races.

This years race season starts on the last weekend of February in Greenville, SC. That is next weekend. I've bee working hard over the fall and winter trying to maintain my fitness and improve my performance. We'll see what happens soon. My goal this year is to upgrade to Cat 3 by June 1st 2007. I already have 7 of the 20 required points from a 1st place finish last September at the Tour of Oaks.

Bicycle racing is a full year commitment. Every single thing I eat and drink is scrutinized in how it may inhibit my ability to achieve my goals and maintain my race weight, a heavy 170 lbs. There are the other commitments like training on the bike at least 4 times a week, approximately 10 to 12 hours through the fall/winter. That increases to about 16 hours a week after the time change. Rest is the hardest part of the racing regimen. Good long naps after a long weekend ride are hard to come by with life's demands, like maintaining livable living conditions or trying to take on other projects. Much of my evening time in 2006 was spent cooking great meals. Bicycle racing allows you to eat, and eat well. Calories become friends and not foes. Weight and health become easy to maintain without thinking too much about it once it becomes your lifestyle. Eating better leads to feeling better and having a better quality of life.

My race season is full-on until the 1st couple weeks of June. Then, I will drop my focus to hang out with my daughter for the summer. I still can get in at least one race a week at the Asheville Mellowdrome/Speedway, Rumble on the River That keeps me fit throughout the summer for when the end of August rolls around. Who knows what exactly I will do then. I hope that I will come to my senses and ride a bike for pleasure, or go camping more often. I love camping. It is the best way to rest.

1 comment:

John said...

Very nice Frank! Nice start!!

John