Sunday, April 8, 2007

Final leg of recovery

Well, I finally made it to my home on March 26th. I have really improved since then. The first few days at home I just relaxed and took it easy. I got real comfortable sleeping in my own place and my own bed. It was nice.

I ordered some new software to start working on web pages and went through a few tutorials to get started. I need to revisit that in the next few weeks and make some progress.

On April 1st, Debi drove me to pick up my daughter. I was lucky to have her spring break overlap with my last week of recovery. We had great week together and I was able to be very mobile by the middle of the week. On Thursday I had my 4 week follow up doctors appointment. They said my healing is going very well and could not be better. That was good news. They gave me the okay to return to work and to start driving long distances. I met with the physical therapist after my doctors appointment and he gave me some exercises to work on. He gave me the home-office plan so I do not have to go into their facility for weekly appointments. The PT had neck surgery 6 years ago and was able to give me great information on his experience.

The day before Easter we got 4 inches of snow. I drove my daughter back in what started out to be really treacherous driving conditions as we passed 3 just-happened car accidents in a 2 mile stretch near Canton, NC. We wanted to turn around and take another route home as we reconsidered driving through the I-40 gorge at the NC/TN state line. Not a fun road to drive in poor weather conditions. But, we kept going and everything was just fine and not too bad...we were extremely cautious.

It was a 4 hour drive each way. I felt good, but my neck was bugging me a little by the time I got home. I was tired and took a long nap. I've been getting really tired about 4 PM.

I go back to work tomorrow. Hopefully I can re-arrange my office workspace and make it through the entire day. I will try to take it easy and relief any tension and stress as this first week gets going.

-Frank

No comments: