Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Good Weekend and Progress

I have made some good progress over the weekend. I spent much of Saturday at the Assault on the Carolinas bike event spectating and watching my cycling friends climb to the top of Caesars Head near the NC/SC border on US 276. Debi was doing the metric century ride, so I was trying to support her on the ride by being at the top of the 7 mile climb. My friend Rob had come up from Atlanta to do the ride. So, it was an opportunity to catch up with him too.

After the ride several of us went out to dinner at Zambras in Asheville. To me, another typical hoity toity restaruant of Asheville with good food, so I guess they can have a pompous pretentious attitude about their food, drink and services. It was a great time and nice for me to be out and about for the first time in weeks, actually months since I don't get out often.

I slept very well in a bed for the first time too. I had also tried driving some miles over the weekend. So far, so good. I feel comfortable driving as long as it is not for too long.

I finally returned home on Monday to stay at my place for the first time since March 9th. It felt great to be home in my space without a pressing schedule. So, I basically relaxed and slowly started thinking about some projects that I hope to do while I am off the bike for some time. My food supply needed some refreshing, so I hit the grocery and ran a few errands to get back on track.

As of tonight, things are good and the week is flying by. My left leg near my hip is sore. I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking that it is because the muscles have not been used that much. I have actually lost some weight since just before the surgery, much of the weight I was trying to lose during the bike training I was doing over the summer. My appetite has dropped significantly since I am not riding. Food is fuel. I'm about 7 pounds lighter than I was at the end of February. My neck is still tender in that I can not make a quick head-turn or look up or to the side for long durations. So, I am just trying to take it easy through this week without too much moving around. But that is easier said than done.

-Frank

No comments: