Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bakery Ride: June 23rd, 2007


Why do they call this the Bakery Ride? Uh, it is because we meet at Fuddruckers.....? And THEN, we ride on the sidewalk to the Asheville City Bakery .....and run pedestrians off the sidewalk...or something like that. Idiots! Maybe collect a few more cyclist there. Then, we head out. Well, that is the way is usually starts....or, at least when I show up for this ride.

The Bakery Ride was kind of started by, then Health Net - now Toyota United, Justin England who wanted to have a winter training group ride here in Asheville (when he lived here in 2005 & 2006) on Saturday mornings. Justin is living (at elevation) in Boulder, CO now....but the Bakery Ride still goes on without him. The ride usually happens through the season when there is not a race in the area......and/or it still happens and non-racers show up. In the winter, the Asheville elite show up. And for me, just the average Frank, it is pretty cool to ride in such company.

Well today, about 7 local jokers and 2 out of towners showed up.....actually one of the out of towners just moved to the area from Raleigh. Over the last few days I had very little motivation to ride the bike....maybe a bug or something. So, last night I didn't think I would actually show up after getting an invite from Hairy Legs Fred (the Angry New Yorker) who is just a "stich".....I mean a hoot....to ride with. Miraculously, after only a cup of coffee this morning (instead of my 3 to 4) I left my little pad and headed to Fuddruckers......to meet the few people that I knew would be there.

I am glad that I did. The ride pushed me and I hung on. Any ride is enjoyable when Fast Eddie is there. Art is such the good samaritan, helping the lost Floridians with friendly directions.....and also talking peaceful conversations while a dog owner assists us with a dog bite.....yes, we had a dog bite today, luckily Ruco (?) had his shots and the owners were very friendly and helpful. Anytime you ride in Madison County NC, just take dog mace. There are no leash laws.

At the end of the ride I was beat.....and I could feel my couch reaching for me for an after ride afternoon nap. My computer showed about 4:01 hours, 67 miles, 4271 feet of climbing and 16.4 mph average. Most of the ride I did not know where I was....there was a long gravel road and few nice short climbs...."how'd we get here?". But, those are the best kind of rides.....as long as someone else knows where we are. I guess I could find my way home if I had too.

No comments: