Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Red Bicyclette......shorts

Oh yes.....I wore RED bicycle shorts today. They would not be the bib shorts that I would choose to wear in a group ride, but I was the only one in the group today. The real reason for my red bicycle short wearin adventure today....was that I kept forgetting to do the laundry the last several days....so, I really had nothing else to wear. So, I decided to make it fun for you, the viewing audience.......there probably ain't many of you out there...but, in my little world....there are a lot of you out there.....way out there! :D
I knew today was going to be a short ride, so I had to put some intensity into my ride.....and I need to get used to it since I won't be riding that much over the next 6 weeks. "No Time? Go Hard" according to Mr. Christopher Carmichael. So, I did...some intervals...the Under Overs, 2 minutes sustained max then 1 minute puke. And, I did them in my little red bicycle shorts.
Actually, what I have heard in hushed tones in small circles is that chicks secretly dig it when guys wear red bicycle shorts. If you search the web, there are some disturbing pictures of guys in red bicycle shorts. Uh, much more revealing than I care to be.
Anyway, I had a lot to do today, so a short ride was in order. Much of my "doing" this weekend has been focused on the anticipated arrival of my daughter next weekend. Her room is ready and I have a few other things I think she will like when she gets here. I'm not sure exactly how focused I want to be on biking. I'd like to keep some form so I can compete in the fall and winter....cyclocross maybe? Last summer I did a lot of fixed gear at the track and the road bike races at the track.....once a week kept me hot for the fall.
Today there was a huge draw of my physical being to a place along the parkway where I just like to go and sit and watch the view. Every year just before my daughter arrives and after she leaves I just go there without planning it, strangely enough.....to this place that I just enjoy. I just like the view and the mental release it does for me. Surprisingly, it is just inches off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is a wooden fence to sit on and watch the terrain. Today was hot....didn't stay long...but, it is my transition portal to the next phase of my year.....the most special and meaningful time of my year. A summer hanging out with my daughter.

3 comments:

John said...

Great entry, Frank. You are so fortunate to be so close to the Blue Ridge Parkway! Don't ever take it for granted!!

Hey, I bought my first ever new bike - a Specialized Tricross. You mentioned Cyclocross, thats what made me think of it. I bought it so I could ride on the roads and on the back dirt roads that are all over the place up here in New hampshire and Vermont!

Frank O said...

By bike, the Parkway is an unreasonable 7 minutes and 20 seconds from my front door. That is TOO FAR away. Has to be closer!
:D
Actually, there are so many roads north of Asheville that blow away the parkway riding. Long climbs or long flat valley along-the-river type riding.

Anonymous said...

Ok, lets be Frank...In a recent poll, women actually find men in any tight bicyle shorts is unattractive, well enough red ones.... sorry to bust your HUGE bubble there...