Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bush, Douglas, & Meyer

Debi scored tickets to see Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, and Edgar Meyer and invited me to join her for the show at the Brevard College Porter Center for Performing Arts. We had previously seen Jerry Douglas with Allison Kraus in Tuscon last November. It was a great show.

This show in Brevard, NC was much more intimate and showcased Sam Bush and Edgar Meyer, two musicians that I knew nothing about. And since I am in the process of discovering new musicians, I was amazed by the "shredding" mandolin prowess of Sam Bush and Edgar's "all over the base neck" style of throwing down the bluegrass licks. Great performance and now I have some more music to pick up for my road trip to Ohio this weekend.

I am not good at all at being star-struck.....I don't like being star-struck....and I didn't have any words after the show when I met Jerry Douglas for an autograph and picture. There was a lot to say and all I got out was "Hi Jerry, My name is Frank and I've been listening to your music for a long time". Debi tried to help me with "Frank is from where you are from in Ohio". Jerry is from Warren, OH....and my hometown is in Warren Township.....uh, is there a connection? Our home towns are actually 125 miles apart. WOW, WE HAVE A LOT IN COMMON! I don't know, but what else am I going to say to a talented musician that I absolutely enjoy listening to and watch play the dobro. Thanks Jerry!

No comments: