Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hello Ohio

Hello Ohio, The back roads. I know Ohio, Like the back of my hand. Alone Ohio, Where the river bends. And it's strange to see your story end. -Lyrics by OTR

I took a road trip to Ohio to pick up Em and visit family over Halloween weekend. Approximately 1300 miles and 20 hours driving. Paul Potts was the new music selection for this trip.

I live for Starbucks on the road. They are popping up at about every exit I stop on I-75. SBX and good music make for a great drive. This SBX in Kentucky (Exit 87) gave me a Cafe Estima on the house since they couldn't get their cash register open. Thanks. I stopped back a couple days later on the way back to NC.

Can you say "Pancake Day"? Yes. Pancake Day is held on the last weekend in October in my home town. Em and I have made the last two years for this event. Before that, I can't remember the last Pancake Day I attended. Em and her cousins enjoying pancakes and sausage. I usually run into high school class mates that I haven't seen for 20 years.

Some car fun with the cousins and the camera. We took about 7 of these pictures before we finally got it right. Sometimes kids are too cool to have their picture taken, but not this time. Em is holding the camera.

The Amish population increased in my hometown shortly after I left for college. They are everywhere. Their horse drawn carriages make for nice pictures. I snapped this picture out my passenger window near the old train depot. Check out the brick road too.

When I was a kid there used to be rail road tracks where this road is today. It is amazing how things change. I'm starting to sound like an old fart now. I spent a ton of time walking the tracks with my friends. Now it is a nice road grade.....would be good for a bike ride. There are parts of this grade that are just gravel and dirt. I hope to get my cross bike on it one day.



Amish and car traffic occupy the roads here. Notice the hill. This was one of the biggest hills around when we road our bicycles up it as kids.

David and his costume for the Halloween parade. Notice the sign in the background.

This is one of the coolest buildings I've seen in all my years. Nice red rock and sweet design. This picture only captures one corner of it. The entire church building is really cool.

No comments: