Sunday, November 18, 2007

I am grateful to not be raking leaves.

I woke up this Sunday morning grateful that my faith seemingly survived the Todd Snider show the night before. Today's activities were going to be at my leisure and accountable to no schedule. I tidied up my little home for my daughter's arrival on Tuesday. We are going to be together this Thanksgiving. Going over to a friends house to have Turkey and the rest.

Shortly after the noon hour, I went over to a little bicycle gear sale and purchased some pedals, base layer, knee warmers, and long-fingered gloves. I had been so restless throughout the day working inside that I once I returned home, I decided that I must go on a little ride. I put on the new pedals and was off.

I rode by a house that I was looking at a few years ago when it was for sale. There was a man in the front yard blowing leaves with his leaf blower. I was thinking to myself that could be me, but instead I am on my bike on what was becoming a somewhat soul-searching solo ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway on my very familiar first leg of my favorite training route. I was pedaling up the climb and thinking to myself what I was going to post on my (this) blog next. And then, I started to think about what I was going to eat and my mind was wandering off into the orange, red, and brown colors of the fallen leaves and long views through the woods. There were several cyclist out there on the road and it was just nice to be out there by my lonesome riding and enjoying the late fall colors and fresh mountain air. It seemed that I had not done this in a while and I thought back as to why(?). Well, I didn't come up with an answer but I know I really enjoyed just being out there.

My ride was short. But, when I came back past that house with the guy and the leaves, he was STILL there raking leaves. Man oh man.....I'm glad that I did not buy that home, I'd probably be raking leaves and would have not got out on this mini soul-searching bicycle ride, but I wouldn't have ever known or realized it unless I was exactly where I was at the time, right now. There, riding by, grateful that I wasn't raking leaves.

No comments: