Saturday, February 2, 2008

Climbing Grapevine

Today was a special Bakery Ride. I was feeling sick with a good head cold, runny nose and near cough. I felt almost too sick to ride but I figured I would at least show up and get in some miles since I would not be riding the following weekend (going to Ohio again). Soon after we pedaled off, I started feeling better. That is usually the case when I am sick, I feel better when I am on the bike. I guess maybe it is because my heart rate is up and pumping my blood through my body, maybe dissipating my sickness until I stop.

I didn't realize our route at first, but here we are on our way to Grapevine. This is a good 3 mile climb northwest of Mars Hill, NC. I've featured the climb on the Southern Appalachian Road Climbs site (which is due for a good overhaul).


View Larger Map
Here it is the climb on Google Maps.

We put in a good 70 miles in 4 hours. I felt exhausted a few times, but had several intermittent bursts of power and endurance. I did not finish so strong, but I ate and napped well after the ride.

Thanks to those of you on the ride who tell me that you are reading my blog. It is good to know that someone it reading.

No comments: