Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Greenville Racing: Weekend 1

I had an okay weekend of racing near Greenville, SC. The Cat 4 road race on Saturday was 35 miles. In the last kilometer of the race I attacked off the front to see if I could hold off the pack. I got a good jump and maybe a 100 meter gap. I quickly caught the single break-away guy. I went into time trial mode and try to hold it, but I quickly realized that it was not going to work out. Both of my calves started to cramp. With less than 500 meters to go the field caught me and quickly went by me. I finished off the back of the pack. I was happy because I did exactly what I had intended to do. Maybe next time I will wait another 500 meters to make the jump. Tune in next Sunday to see how that works out.

OJ and I sporting our Carolina Fatz temporary team kits until our team kits come in.......uh, guess they still needed to be ordered.....okay, it may be a while.

Here are junior racers Calum (left) and Andre (right) sprinting against each other. They were team mates last year on the Hearns Junior team and still race those kits. But technically they race for different teams since Andre is now on Team Velosports. We still like Calum though! Andre had a great weekend with a 1st place on Saturday and a 3rd place on Sunday. Andre also managed to get his name into the womens results.

Sunday was the BMW Test Track criterium course. Confusion with the lap count down had the entire Cat 4 field sprinting for the finish when they had 3 laps to go.......so, I burned my match on that sprint with a good position across the line to find out that we still had 3 laps to go. I tried to hang on, but had nothing for the finish.

Check out the Team Velosports blog for more race reports.

No comments: