Monday, September 3, 2007

NC/SC State Road Race Championships

Saturday AM, I packed up the CRV, picked up Andre and headed for Fork Shoals, SC to race in the State Championships. My biggest question for myself for this race is "would I finish?". Andre's biggest question for him "would he win?". Big difference there. Given my crazy year off the bike, I'd just be happy to finish and/or see Andre race well.

I raced Cat 4 and the course was nice. Andre handed me a water bottle at the feed zone, but I was already in trouble. On the next set of rollers, I lost the group and that was it. I rode the 2nd lap by myself. I still don't have the endurance and recovery that I need to race at a level where I was last year. More motivation needed.....please help.

After 3PM Andre's race finally started. He was racing in the 15-18 year old category. He had a junior teammate already racing on the road in the 13-14 Junior category, Evan. Evan is the strongest 14 year old cyclist that I've ever known.

Evan's race was one lap, 15 miles. At 200 meters he realized that they were approaching the finish. He sprinted around the field for a 1st place win and the title of NC State Champion for the 13-14 year old category. Andre and I knew he would win this race.

Andre's race saw a break of 2 go up the road. Andre attempted to initiate a few chases off the front of his group but no one would go with him. So, he sat in and contested 3rd place. He took 3rd overall by a 1/2 a bike length and got 2nd place in the NC Champ title. One the first two finishers were from SC.

1st place NC State Champion for Evan in the 13-14 category. 2nd place NC for Andre in the 15-18 category. Great job guys!

No comments: