Monday, September 24, 2007

The Vis Wall

I had the opportunity to visit with NEMAC on Friday at their Visualization Wall at the Enka AB Tech campus. The wall is about 8 feet tall and 20 feet wide. I have been doing some work with Greg using ERDAS IMAGINE VirtualGIS (the screen capture of the Washington Mall at this link is one that I created when I worked for Leica-ERDAS...they're still using my work in the marketing materials) and learning new 3D Visualization tools. Since my time here in Asheville I have been out of the 3D Visualization loop. But, there are some very cool activities going on here that I hope I can be a part of.

Here is a 3D visualization of the Swannanoa River flooding Biltmore Village area in Asheville, NC. This actually happened in 2004 with Hurricanes Frances and Ivan. For scale, a human standing would be fully included in this picture.


We were fortunate that the live weather RADAR link was showing a tropical depression Homberto coming on shore. Great timing! We got to participate in the upcoming 10 promotional video Climate Alive that will cover Asheville, NC as the climate hub of the country.

No comments: