Tuesday, July 8, 2008

CO Springs and Pikes Peak

Good day! We started off the day with a stop at Dogtooth Coffee. We had some breakfast and coffee. I picked up a couple bags of beans, Velvet Hammer and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe (EY is my absolute favorite coffee!). I also picked up a Dogtooth Coffee coffee mug! The coffee was great and I will likely stop by again before we leave CO Springs.

Then we navigated through CO Springs to US 24 and started our ascent up the Pikes Peak Highway. We took a lot of pictures.

Of course we had to do some searching for Big Foot. BF is a very elusive creature that has been seen in many parts of the country. The rarest creatures are the BFs sporting the cool mullet! He must have been sighted here a few times in the past though.

The drive up the Pikes Peak Highway started on paved road, then went to dirt, and then went back to paved, and then back to dirt at the top of the mountain. The views and the invitations to explore were plentiful!


Here is a clip of the drive up. While watching the movie, listen close. You can hear my RPMs revving up. I could manage no more than 20 mph in 2nd gear. But, there was no need to go fast.


We made it to the top!

My CRV (with bikes) at the top of Pikes Peak. Hmmmm, next time we ride the bikes down and back up again! What do you say?

It was spitting snow at the top of the mountain, over 14,000 feet above sea level. One part of the drive there was a sign saying that Pikes Peak is a mile higher than we were at the moment of the drive.

A shot from the top exposed a long drop off! There is no way to appreciate the view captured in this picture unless you are there to experience it yourself.

We started the drive down the mountain. Notice that we are "above" the clouds here! There was a thunder storm at the next peak over. There was also a lot of road construction at the top which squeezed us into single lane traffic many times.

The Super Bowl! What an experience it must be to use a porta potty at 14,000 feet above sea level. Don't push too hard, you might go light-headed and pass out!

So this is me with the whole entire world at my arms reach! I admit that views like this are much more appreciated when you hike on foot to get there, but nonetheless by car it is still awesome!

Every view was continually incredible. There are a lot of places that I would like to return to and explore at Pikes Peak. The entire experience far exceeded my expectations! I must return!

No comments: