Saturday, July 5, 2008

Durango and the 4th

The 4th of July was a lazy day for us. We slept in and didn't drive anywhere. We spent most of the day in downtown Durango, CO.

Our campground had a 4th of July parade. Since we had a lazy morning, we just inadvertently got caught up in the celebrations!

We ate at Home Slice Pizza. "You want a piece of me?", read the sticker on the side of the trash can! And had a deep dish pizza which we could not finish. This place had a nice outdoor patio and was a few blocks away from downtown, but worth the visit!

Went shopping. I love these boots! There not even men's boots either. Who could I buy these for?

Some advice....
More useful advice! I am in need of advice. If you need some too, click on the images. They are big on purpose so you can better see the detail.

We DID NOT stop at Starbucks and opted for the local coffee shops. We can get Starbucks anywhere. But, you cannot get a Velvet Hammer from Steaming Bean just anywhere. I love eating and drinking what is local.

We did stop at the Candy Factory!

Drank some Zuberfizz at where they make the drink.

Rode bikes on the local paved bike path.

Saw the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge train come through.

Listened to live music at the 4th of July street festival. Knockin on Heaves Door and a few other selections were played.

Then! I had the best meal and beer in one sitting ever! We ate dinner at Carvers Brewing Company Cafe. Em ordered pest linguini and I ordered spinach feta stuff salmon! I also had a Power House Porter that includes Carvers organic brew coffee in it. It was the best of both worlds, coffee and porter! This place is incredible.


Then, we saw the best fireworks show ever. We were about 300 yards (or so) from where they were setting them off. They were right above us and it lasted for more than 30 minutes. My phone and camera batteries kept going dead....but, I salvaged something. I usually don't get too excited about fire works, but this show was great!

Headed to Santa Fe today and then Colorado Springs on Monday. Should be back in NC on either Thursday or Friday.

No comments: