Monday, July 7, 2008

The Rio Grande and Taos, NM

We left White Rock, NM early this morning and headed for Taos, NM.

Rob had told me about the "coffee guy" in a white van. Since I love coffee he suggested that we stop. He'll be on the side of the road on your way out. "Look for his white van." Sure enough we found it and we got some java-drivin-joe for the road. We talked to the Coffee Guy. He said he's been doing this for 2 years and really appreciated that we made the effort to stop by and check out his gig.

On the way we diverted to the Rio Grande river and traveled some dirt roads. Here is a shot looking up stream of the Rio Grande valley driving along the river. Check out the basalt on the hillsides.

A look back down the Grand gorge....

...and a shot of the both of us.


We went to check out some truss at the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. We parked and walked out onto the bridge. Are you scared of heights? This is a good way to stick your neck out and FACE YOUR FEAR in the face! Do you remember this bridge from the movies Natural Born Killers and Twins? The bridge is 650 feet above the Rio Grande and is one of the highest bridges in the US. Man, did this bridge shake when the semi-trucks drove across it!

Once to Taos, NM, we had a big lunch at Ogelvies. We had a sweet table on the 2nd floor deck. I had the Tomato Caprese and chicken burrito. Em had the Alfredo pasta. I ate a lot. I would have to find some coffee to get me through the rest of the day's drive.....

.....and how about some chocolate too!!! OMG, my racing form will be really shot when I get back.

After some shopping, we did another group pict in the plaza square!


Driving US 160 to I-25 and Colorado Springs to meet up with my friend Mike from grad school. Haven't seen him in about 7 years.

Tomorrow: Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods!

No comments: