Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Day After The Operation

What a crazy couple days. I made it through okay. They stuck the IV in my around noon on Friday. I sat in a waiting room with Debi for over 2 hours before going into the pre-op room. I was in the pre-op room for over an hour before being wheeled into the OR. They started prepping me and the next thing I knew was waking up in recovery. My hip hurt so bad and my neck brace did not allow me much freedom to move my head around. A I could really see was the ceiling, and all I knew was that I was in a different room. My mind still felt like I was waiting to go into surgery. But it was over.

They took a bone graph from my left hip. Then they went into the left side of my front neck to removed the bulging disc and place the bone graph in the place of where my disc was between C6 and C7 vertebrae. I had decided that it made more sense to use my own bone instead of going through a bone bank. My body would except my own bone better.

During the surgery, I had a tube down my throat to feed my air tube. After they took me the room for the night, I could feel how my throat was irritated from that tube. Needless to say it was very hard to eat at first. I was getting nauseous from the drugs (Valium and Percoset) because I had an empty stomach. Being nauseous, it was hard for me to get up and walk around. I thought I was going to puke. For most of the morning, no position was comfortable for me. I was in incredible pain from about 4 AM to 7AM. Then, I had some jello and apple sauce and that gave me enough energy to stand up and not be nauseated.

Debi gave me a sip of coffee and then I really turned around. I was able to get up on my feet and sit on the side of the bet. The upright position was the most comfortable for me. I ate everything in site. When they came back to medicate me for the last time I was ready for it. Soon after I took a good walk. I have a walker that really helped me get around. It was going to be the only way out of there. By 10 AM we were leaving the hospital as I got my discharge orders.

I'm at Debi's now and eating eating eating. Debi set me up with a nice lounge chair. I am in much better condition this afternoon and about ready to take a nap. The hardest part for me is still getting myself upright from reclined position. It puts a lot of stress on my neck. My head is too heavy to lift. I have a neck brace that I need to wear when I am getting around with my walker. I can't drive for 10 days. I won't be at work for about 4 weeks.

Everyone at Mission hospital was very friendly and extremely helpful. I made sure that I said thank you to everyone I encountered. Debi really was extremely patient with me early this morning. I was cussing in pain. I could not stand it. I thought there would be no way that I would make it out anytime before noon, which was my designated check-out time.

My good friend Bridgette, who roasts my coffee, was working with IVs and stopped by my room to take out my IV for good. It was great to see her and I put in an order for my favorite Ethiopian coffee. Hopefully we can pick it up later this week.

-Frank

No comments: