Saturday, August 18, 2007

Parkway and NC 215

Todays ride started and finished at the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway, just east of the intersection with US 276. We dropped down the long US 276 descent and headed for Rosman, NC. After a little unplanned detour, we headed for NC 215.

Early morning start on the Parkway with Mike and Fred. These guys like to climb. Fred rides some of the most exciting and awesome routes north of Asheville. Remote country roads with some of the greatest climbs in the country, if not the world. They are just unknown! I keep forgetting how awesome the Parkway views are and the feeling you get riding your bike at high elevations.

Climbing NC 215 alone after 45 miles of intense riding with Mike and Fred. This was brutal! The 7% grades were killing me today.

The view at the top of NC 215. We are looking south . The long views have been hazy over the last couple months. I used to live for views like this. It is easy to take them for granted since they surround me everywhere.

It was a very busy day on the Parkway near Asheville. On the drive home I saw this guy on a bike. He was the tallest guy that I ever saw on a bike before. Notice his seat-height compared to the motorcycle.

After 80 miles and 6300 feet of climbing in the heat, all I could do was EAT and SLEEP!

No comments: